For many seasons now the Scandinavians have seemed to dominate the independent fashion scene. Their understated approach to styling has captivated the UK market and we can’t get enough of it. From the likes of premium designers such as Acne to H&M, Cos and & Other Stories on the high street we are increasingly fueling our love of Nordic design. The notion of ‘hygge’ (the Danish concept of living a simple, well and cosy life) is influencing all areas of our life from our interiors to how we embrace the way we live so it makes sense for the trend to continue into what we choose to wear.
• Embrace monochrome – black, white, navy and grey are your key colours. Throw in a Breton stripe to complete your wardrobe basics. Accessories in brighter colours can be used to add interest to your outfit
• Layer, layer and layer again. Many Nordic styles are oversized so take the opportunity to wear vests and t-shirts under tops and knits. Don’t be afraid to mix prints, styles and textures particularly in Winter with scarves, mits and hats. It’s fine to wear florals and stripes together as long as the colour palettes are similar.
• Keep trousers short in the leg and relatively skinny. A cigarette style trouser or a legging fit jean balances out the oversize tops, knits and coats.
• Buy a pair of plain black or white trainers and wear them with skirts and dresses. Invest in some high denier hosiery and stride it out
• The Danes absolutely love coats (their climate means that it is a necessity most of the year). An oversize wool coat, a lightweight padded puffa jacket and a waterproof rainmac are absolute essentials for everyday use.
Here at Coes we are also on the Nordic love train. Our favourites this season include Samsoe & Samsoe, Rains and our new brand Masai. We love the easy styling and the way we can adapt and style the looks to suit your needs. Not forgetting the gorgeous jewellery from Hultquist and So-Me. The trend is here to stay and we love it.